On-line since 2002

> 600 pages
> 1150 manufacturers
> 11000 pictures
> 1.000.000 unique visitors

What's new
New models
Shows / swapmeets
The Vault
Manufacturers list
Model listings
Road Test
Tips & Tricks
About 87thScale
Editorials Archive

87thScale.info does not 
spam. If you received a 
spam message with an 87thScale return mail 
address it is forged.


Model vs Prototype #6

BS-Design  #01 - Ford Capri Turbo Gr.5 'Würth' (1980)
Resin kit built & reviewed by Eric Kersbergen. Prototype picture © 24valve.com 

The prototype: The Zakspeed Ford Capri Turbo was built to Group 5 specifictions, and used the Ford UK 1300cc Kent engine, which was ofcourse completely rebuilt. Instead of the original 55bhp, the supercharged engine put out 380bhp in the 1978 version of the car. The car pictured above, on display at the Sinsheim Auto & Technik museum in Germany, is the 600bhp car that was driven by Karl Ludwig in the 1980 DRM season.

Length 5100mm / Width 1980mm / Height 1150mm / Wheelbase 2550mm

The kit reviewed here is the second version of this kit, and has a hollow-cast resin body. (The first version was solid-cast clear resin.) The kit consists of the resin body, a white-metal bottomplate, a piece of white plastic for the rear spoiler, four Herpa wheels (from a Ferrari Testarossa), two metal axles and two small sheets of decals. There are no building instructions in the little plastic box the kit comes in, but BS-Design has provided three-side views of a finished model that come in handy when it is time to put the decals on the model. 

The kit reviewed here was damaged, both the vertical spoiler supports were broken and had to be repaired. Besides that, both the frontspoiler and grille were not horizontal, and it took quite some time to get that straightened out. Apart from that, building the kit went quite smooth. To spice things up a little I opened the air intakes in the hood and next to the headlights (the car on display in the museum had double headlights, all cars in racing trim I've found pictures of had single headlights) and added an Automobilia photo-etched 5-point safety-belt to the rather crude interior. The rims that came with the kit went straight into my parts-box and were replaced by Herpa rims from a PC model which resembled the prototypes rims more closely. The model was spraypainted with automotive paint, details were handpainted using Tamiya acrylics with the exception of the headlights. These weren't painted but are small glass 'crystals' with a chrome backing that were glued on. Decalling required patience and some decalsoftener but didn't cause any problems. The black decals on the fenders have to be cut to shape after they have been applied to the model, but that was not very difficult. 

Model measurements (converted): 
Length 4700mm / Width 2200mm / Height 1200mm / Wheelbase 2300mm

The 87thScale.info verdict:

Despite the fact that the prototypes measurements aren't correctly converted to 1/87 the overall look of the model is good. The kit is no stranger to the problems found in almost every resin kit, but although these problems could be solved without too many difficulties I'd only recommend the kit to the more experienced modeller.

Back to tests    Next test